Ammata Phathanak – Psychologist
Ammata is a Registered Psychologist with over 12 years as a Mental Health practitioner. Ammata’s professional experience also extends further, combined with over 17 years of nursing as a Registered Nurse specialising in Aged and Palliative Care.
Ammata’s warmth counselling style complements her strengths-based approach to therapy. Passionate about her clinical work to respectfully help people make positive changes to their thinking; decision making and behaviour during stressful times in their lives. Her aim is to understand her clients’ thoughts and actions, to work with you to manage and overcome your psychological distress and improve your well-being.
Ammata’s psychological approach to therapy is tailored to the patient’s needs, predominantly utilising:
• Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
• Mindfulness Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (MiCBT)
• Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)
• Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT)
• Motivational Interviewing (MI)
• Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
Ammata specialises in helping clients with:
• Depression, Anxiety
• Mental Illness, Trauma (PTSD)
• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
• Stress and Anger Management
• Self Esteem issues and Assertiveness training
• Grief and Loss, Life transition and Adjustment difficulties
• Parenting and Relationship issues
• Academic study concerns and difficulties, and work related stresses
Ammata treats adults, couples and families with respect combined with a touch of humour as a form of prescribed therapy. Works with multicultural and women’s issues, has a
keen interest in assisting people overcome health issues and trauma. Her warm and respectful approach helps client’s feel confident to make positive changes.
Ammata has completed her:
• Undergraduate and Postgraduate education at the University of Sydney
• University of Western Sydney and the College of Psychological Practice (COPP)
• Masters of Applied Science in Health Psychology
• An Associate Member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS)
• Registered with the Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA)
• Registered with Medicare Australia and WorkCover NSW.
Ammata’s education and training promotes healthy attitudes and behaviour, helping clients and their families to cope with illness. Continuously undertaking professional development and training, keeping up-to-date on the latest therapeutic practices that ultimately empower people to develop self awareness and initiate positive change.
To make an appointment with Ammata call our reception today on (02) 9938 1090