When you think of chocolate mousse, you don’t think HEALTHY, but in these recipes ITS ALL GOOD for you and here’s why…
Dates : contains tannins which have anti-inflammatory properties. Contains vitamin A (antioxidant) and a good source of iron. Iron is the nucleus of our blood cell, oxygen bonds to iron and is transported around the body.
Almond Milk: Out of all vegan milks almond has the highest calcium content. Dairy milk is acidic and although it contains calcium, your body will take calcium from your bones to neutralise the acid from the milk. Almond milk is alkalising.
Avocados: High in oleic acid (like olive oil) which has been shown to prevent breast cancer in numerous studies. Also good for prostate protection and lower cholesterol.
Vanilla: Contains vanillin, and has been shown to prevent cell mutations (the changes in the cell’s DNA that can lead to cancer)
Chocolate: Hmm….85% dark chocolate has very little sugar?!?!
Raw Cacao Nibs: Very rich in anti oxidants which deal with free radicals.
- Serves 5-7
- Egg Free
- Gluten Free
- Does contain nuts
- Does contain sugar in the melted chocolate
- Plan B: Raw Cacao Powder could be substituted if melted chocolate is not appropriate with this recipe
Use all organic ingredients if possible.
- 1 cup date paste
- 100 ml of almond milk
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence:
- 200 grams of 85% dark chocolate (melted)
- A sprinkle of raw cacao nibs
- For the date paste, soak 500g of pitted dates in 200ml almond milk for a few hours then blend until smooth.
- For almond milk, soak 100g of almonds overnight then blend well. You can keep the fibre as this will add a nice texture.
- Put in a food processor and blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Sprinkle some raw cacao on top and serve chilled.
Kath Our Bowen Therapist’s tip with this recipe is not to be fooled by the this chocolate mousse- its filling and smaller quantities hit that chocolate craving just as well, without over doing it.
Thanks to Natural Therapy Pages for this recipe.
A Sugar-free, Raw Cacao based recipe can be found here, at The Healthy Chef.