- Diet and food choices: Obviously if you’re eating too much and you’re making poor food choices you will put on weight. But did you know there are genes that drive food choices towards high fat/high sugar choices and comfort eating?
- Inflammation: One of the hidden causes of weight gain is systemic inflammation. Not only will it add kilos, left untreated, it will increase your risk of diseases like diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, depression to name a few.
- Hormones: Particularly for women, weight can be a lot more about an underlying hormone imbalance than what’s on your plate.
- Detox pathways: Love your liver and even more so, love your detox genes! If your body is trying to protect you from toxins, it will retain water and store toxins in fat so it’s important to optimise your detox pathways to get rid of toxins as efficiently as possible.
- Food intolerances: gluten and dairy are brilliant at adding kilos. Coupled with leaky gut or poor digestion, this can be a recipe for love handles, fatigue and brain fog!
Let me ask you a question. How long has it been since you felt good in your body? I mean really good. Are you waiting till summer, hoping you can hide under winter woollies before you think about the next diet? If you made the commitment to finally fit into that favourite dress again – you know the one in the back of the wardrobe waiting for that magic day - would you cut calories, hit the gym, or try a detox diet? Or would you get clever? Let me help you out by sharing a secret - It’s hard to lose weight when you’re fighting your genes. Keeping a healthy weight is more than just calories in and calories out. For everything you eat, your body activates its genetic code to control whether energy will be burned or stored as fat, the speed of your metabolism, whether you’ll be a ‘pear’ and ‘apple’ or some other shape, even down to how hungry you are and what food choices you’re likely to make. To be clever about losing weight, we need to get to the underlying cause. Those extra kilos could be because of: