Does Cosmetic Acupuncture work?
There is no claim that Cosmetic Acupuncture can reverse ageing, make you look half your age or achieve the same thing as Botox injections. Actually, it claims to do the complete opposite.
Cosmetic Acupuncture, also called Facial Rejuvenation, acknowledges the ageing process(it will happen regardless) but aims to slow the ageing process down by stimulating collagen and elastin production.
It doesn't "freeze" the face as Botox does, so it isn't going to be anything like a Face Lift.Instead, Acupuncture is about directing blood flow and improving circulation to the muscles and skin of the face.
Cosmetic Acupuncture aims to soften fine lines and wrinkles, but may not remove them altogether.The actual potential is all contained within YOUR skin, not Acupuncture...and simply put, we cannot make the skin do something it's not able to do or change itself. Acupuncture is just the stimulus that promotes increased collagen and elastin production in the areas you wish to work on. Managing your expectations is part of the Inital and follow-up consultations. Nutrition and Lifestyle still impacts on your skin, regardless of receiving Cosmetic Acupuncture or Botox or any skin treatment. So we encourage you to put time and energy into these aspects as well.
How does Cosmetic Acupuncture work?A simplified answer is Cosmetic Acupuncture or Facial Rejuvenation is about inserting pins to stimulate and quicken the body’s natural collagen and elastin building processes. We gently needle the face where you experience excess tension, poor circulation or lack of tone. These "micro-traumas"from the needling is what brings the brain and nervous system's attention to the areas of the face to begin recovery of collagen and elastin in the face. This is how we manage to keep your treatments drug and surgery free. Nothing is injected, the needles are solid, sterile, stainless medical steel.
In a treatment you can expect:
- A Skin Assessment - We'll go through what areas of the face need some support, how it affects you and where you want to get to with your skin.
- Pulse and Tongue Diagnosis - We feel your pulse and look at your tongue to find out what is happening constitutionally - The Big Picture.
- Treatment - Could include facial massage or Gua Sha, facial needling first, then Body Acupuncture. You will be left alone for about 25-30 mins to relax. Then I'll come back in to begin removing the needles. Finishing up could include facial massage or a warm towel compress.
Frequently Asked QuestionsNB: First and foremost, if you're concerned about your skin I advise you see your GP or Skin Cancer clinic first. If you're given the all clear, then adding Cosmetic Acupuncture to your wellness plan is fine. Women use Facial rejuvenation and Cosmetic Acupuncture to slow the ageing process and simply give their face and skin some natural support. What can Cosmetic Acupuncture be used to assist?
- Dry, dull skin
- Dark circles under eyes, puffy eyes
- Fine Lines, wrinkles, frown lines
- Tension in the face, jaw tension
- Sagging and drooping, "Jowls", Crepiness
- Pigmentation, dark spots including age spots
- Bell's Palsy
- 1-4 sessions will help improve complexion, dryness and dullness of skin.
- 6-8 sessions will have palpable changes in collagen and elastin. This takes consecutive sessions to get started.
- 8-10 sessions is advised for wrinkles and loss of firmness, as the collagen and elastin production will now be visible.
- After an initial block of treatment, maintenance is advised and this can be 4 weeks apart.
- Results will last around 1-2 years based on the time it takes for collagen to decline again. Another block of treatments can be performed then after 2 years. Or ongoing maintenance can maintain the skin for 2-3 years after an initial block of treatment.