By Ann Bridges, Hypnobirthing Practitioner
Imagine a relaxed, calm and natural birthing experience? With Caesarian rates rising dramatically, especially in Private Hospitals, is birth now seen from the point of view that it's inherently difficult and the birthing body is somehow flawed and destined to fail?!
Medical training, especially for obstetricians, is focused on what can go wrong in the birthing process, and this is all very well and good if you do have a special circumstance that warrants medical intervention, unfortunately the fear and anxiety in the birthing suite is palpable, as women are under the clock to perform within a certain time frame. This creates unnecessary pressure which in turn only serves to increase fear and anxiety, which also has ramifications for increased experience of pain.
Anxiety has been well researched and the link to anxiety increasing perception of pain has long been established. So how can we shift birthing mother’s experiences to create a relaxed, comfortable, easy and joy filled birth?
- Preparation is key, birthing classes which give couples the tools to greatly reduce, and for some completely eliminate, the experience of pain during labour is a great start.
- Understanding the choices available to couples as well as the bodies innate ability to birth and how to work with that and not against it, creating a more effective and efficient birthing process.
- Enrolling the medical staff in your natural and non-interventionist approach, as this is your birth, your body and your baby, is essential too.
Birth can be an amazing, rewarding and empowering rite of passage. So Imagine making it memorable for all the right reasons.
HypnoBirthing Advantages -
- Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and, thus, pain
- Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs
- Shortens the first phase of labour
- Leaves mother alert, fresh, awake and with energy
- Helps keep oxygen supplied to baby during birthing
- Reduces the need for an episiotomy
- Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labour
- Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a gentle, calm birth for themselves and their baby
- Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birthing
- Embraces the concept of pre-birth Parenting
- Teaches breathing techniques that allow a woman to gently breathe her baby into the world without the violence of hard, physical pushing
The HypnoBirthing Premise -
For most of their lives, women have been inundated with the negative stories of other women's birth experiences. Everyone, from their mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends and even strangers, wants to tell them the horrors of giving birth.
They have been conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with birth; and because of this, women today hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth. This extreme fear causes their bodies to become tense, and that tension often prevents them from easily performing the normal, physiological function of birth. The result? - exactly what they feared most--long, painful, disappointing births.
Through a very simple program of self-hypnosis and education, women learn to release emotions tied to fear-based stories and misinformation, and they are helped to see birth as normal.
They learn to trust that their bodies know how to bring their babies into the world in the calm and gentle way that Nature intended.